The mind of a Yankees’ fan is a mysterious place. One thing is certain though; they have the mindset of winners. They are knowledgeable about baseball and even more knowledgeable about their players and their history (which people never seem to hear the end of).
Regardless, this season has caused the mind of Yankee fans to range from moments of pure excitement to pure dread. With the up-and-down nature of this season’s squad, a journey through the mind of a Yankee fan during the game is an adventure, to say the least.
If you don’t quite know, here is an inside look at what goes through the mind of a Yankee fan during a typical 2015 game:
1. This is a good pitching match-up. I think we can handle him.
2. Actually, the lineup will be able to produce runs. I think we can win this.
3. Oh my gosh, we can definitely win this!
4. I’m so excited!!!
5. Here we go Yankees!!
6. Oh…that’s one run in…
7. Wait…that’s another one…
8. Seriously? We haven’t even gotten to bat yet!
9. And now we’re up to bat…already losing…
10. And can’t hit…again.
11. Boy, it’d be nice if we could get some hits.
12. I said HITS not OUTS!
13. Oh look, Stephen Drew is up. I think we can guarantee an out here…
14. BUT WHY DID HE GET A HIT BUT NO ONE ELSE CAN? IS HE AT .200 YET?
15. WE NEED TO START HITTING!
16. AND PITCHING!
17. AND PLAYING SMART DEFENSE! YEAH, I’M TALKING TO YOU CHASE HEADLEY!
18. AND WOULDN’T IT BE NICE IF DID DIDN’T START MAKING SILLY MISTAKES?
19. Oops, too late.
20. Seventh inning stretch and we’re losing…time to actually get up and stretch because this is depressing.
21. Okay, we’re down three…there’s still time.
22. IF WE COULD ACTUALLY HIT!
23. But here comes Dellin so I’m not even worried.
24. Wow, Betances is tall.
25. And FILTHY THANK GOODNESS FOR THE FARM SYSTEM!
26. Bottom of the eighth…I feel a rally coming on.
27. OKAY, STEPHEN DREW, POPPING OUT DOES NOT START A RALLY!
28. But here’s a hit…
29. And another one…
30. Oh goodness, I can’t even watch…I’ll just follow Twitter to find out what’s going on.
31. AND HERE COMES CARLOS BELTRAN FINALLY!
32. CARLOS I HAVE NEVER DOUBTED YOU!
33. Well, I actually have but I am going to just take back everything I’ve ever said!
34. AND MORE HITS!
35. WE’RE ACTUALLY IN THE LEAD!
36. I CAN’T STOP FREAKING OUT AND MY FAMILY IS TELLING ME TO SHUT UP!
37. All right, boys…it’s MILLER TIME!
38. Ugh, Andrew Miller is just such a good addition as a closer.
39. So…uh…what are you doing Miller?
40. Let’s throw a strike maybe…?
41. Oh my god there are runners on already.
42. We’re going to lose…
43. Please, Miller, I beg you DO NOT BLOW THIS!
44. Runner on third…please please please don’t do this!
45. I still can’t wait…I’ll just turn around and listen for the crowd…
46. But I have to watch…
47. AND STRIKE THREE! GAME OVER!
48. THEEEE YANKEES WIN!
49. Bring on “New York, New York!” That is my jam!
50. Well, now what? I have to wait until tomorrow? Damn.
See, the mind is a dangerous place. When you’re in the mind of a Yankees’ fan, it really is a confusing and emotional ride. Trust me, I know.